Fredonia Memorial Post 59 was chartered in 1919. When the post was founded, several servicemen and one service woman from the area lost their lives during WWI. Rather than name the post for one of them, the name Fredonia Memorial Post 59 was selected to honor all of them.
Post 59 is the oldest American Legion Post in Chautauqua County, and is the second oldest post in the 8th District, Department of New York.
The post meetings were originally on the 3rd floor of Fredonia Village Hall. In the early 1940's, the Legion purchased the property at 40 Temple Street. In 1946, the property was sold to the D&F Telephone Company. The Legion then purchased the porperty at 156 E Main Street, where it still resides today. In 1963, an additon was added to the building. This addition, called "Colonial Hall" is used for meetings and dinners.
The post has had members serve as County and District Commanders and Department Vice Commanders.
The Post's Auxiliary Unit 59 was chartered in 1921. It is very active in helping veterans.
The Post's Sons of the Legion was originally founded in the early 1930's. Since all of the Son's members served in WW2, the Squadron was disbanded, but reestablished in the 1990's. Like the Auxiliary, it has supported the Legion in it's efforts for Veterans.